This should be titled adoption island because of the numbers of AP's (adoptive parents) on this very small island. Almost everyone used to stay at Shamian Island and most AP's still do. Shamian Island was where the European traders were allowed to settle, and many buildings are the old business buildings or large homes from the 1800's through the early 1900's. It's very quiet and peaceful compared to the rest of the city and it's relatively clean. The US Consulate was located next door to the White Swan Hotel but I hear it recently moved across town.
The White Swan hotel is where everyone used to stay and most still stay there or the Victory Hotel down the street. The White Swan hosts so many parents with their new children it is commonly referred to as the White Stork Hotel. I'll see if I can add some pictures, it has an incredible lobby.
Guangzhou is where we will be staying most of our 2 week trip. The days are spent rushing to government appointments and then waiting a couple of days before the next one. AP's report lots of down time to leisurely walk the island getting to know your new daughter. The island is separated from the mainland by a small canal and close enough to walk across the bridge for shopping. There are a few other places to stay on the mainland side of the canal that still keeps you encompassed in the unreal world of not really China we might consider. Huge pet , mushroom and flower markets exist nearby. And I've heard some wonderful things about some of the parks, perhaps we'll get to see some.
I ran across a non adoptive travelers log of a visit to the island in what seems to be 2009 possibly. It is an interesting view and the adoption related information is correct from what I have learned so far.
Copy and paste and check it out. Here are 2 separate links to different pages
cromwell-intl.com/travel/peoples-republic-of-china/guangzhou-1.html
cromwell-intl.com/travel/peoples-republic-of-china/guangzhou-2.html

No comments:
Post a Comment
Nice comments are appreciated. Comments do not show up on our blog until after I have read them to prevent spam and hateful messages.